The Nellie Tyrrell
originally the Beecher Hollow School. This one-room school was
built in 1860 on property once part of the Walter Vaughn Farm.
It replaces an earlier log school that was located just above
the present Copeland Bridge. The building served as a school
until 1930 when it became the Town Hall until 1974. In 1975 it
opened as the Edinburgh Town Museum and was renamed the Nellie
Tyrrell Museum in 1979.
The 1200 sq. ft. Nellie Tyrrell Museum accommodates the archival
documents such as photographs, maps, drawings, books, articles,
pictures, paintings, and public and personal records. In addition,
exhibits include "An Early Schoolroom", "Life
in Batchellerville", "Women's Work", "Military
Contributions", and "Leather & Tanning".
Tyrrell Edinburgh Museum,
formerly the Beecher Hollow School
Day at the Rural
at the Rural Museum
|The Rural Museum,
a 3500 sq.
ft. rustic barn-type structure, is located just up the hill from
the Nellie Tyrrell Museum. The building had been the former Town
highway barn until 1975 and was then used as a storage facility
until 1992. The Town leased the building to the Society in 1992,
and renamed the Rural Museum, has been housing permanent exhibits
ever since. Over the years the exhibits included "Early
Logging", and "Maple Sugaring"; in the spring
of 2001, the "Victorian Parlor", "Country Kitchen",
and "Woodworking" exhibits were updated and improved
and a working "Up and Down Sawmill" exhibit was installed.
The "Threads, Fiber and Fabric" exhibit centers around
a working loom for visitors and students to work on.
The two Museums are
open to the public from July 2, 2011 through August 31, 2011
and admission is free to all. Hours are 12am-3pm Saturdays
and 4pm-8pm Wednesdays
and by appointment. The Society offers tours of the Museums
to schools and organizations as requested.
Edinburg Historical Society
PO Box 801
Edinburg, NY 12134